our family

our family

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Confessions of the candy bootleggers

John took the day off yesterday so he could attend the Disciple concert that was coming to a local church (which, btw, he said was ok - Disciple was great but there was this other band with a fifty year old lady wearing leather pants and playing a tambourine...?), so in the afternoon he took the boys to go see "Rango." Being a huge fan of Johnny Depp myself, like all other breathing females between the ages of nine and ninety, I really wanted to go, even if it is only a cartoon lizard with Johnny Depp's voice (wow, doesn't take much). However, I figured Rilla wouldn't be as into it as I was so she and I went grocery shopping, which is  far cry from going to the movies - so I snuck in a visit to Old Navy on the way. Just can't seem to get enough tiny cardigans.
Like we always do, earlier in the day we picked up some candy to take into the movie, and I filled up the boys water bottles before we left (cheap much?), but since John can't imagine going to the movies without buying popcorn, they stopped at the concession counter on the way in. John ordered a small popcorn for the boys to share (I prefer the term "thrifty" I guess) and some fruit bites for himself. The lady asked if they would like any other candy and BOTH boys piped up, "No, Daddy already brought some. It's in his backpack." Embarrassed, John followed up with ,"So then, just the popcorn and fruit bites..."
This reminds me of the time about a million years ago when Elisabeth and I were teenagers and we went to go see a movie at the very same theater; even back then I balked at the exorbitant prices of the movie theater candy, so on that occasion we stopped and I bought what could only be referred to as a value pack, family size, three pound bag of Twizzlers.  Nonchalantly I folded my coat over my arm and tried to stuff three pounds of twizzlers underneath it, struggling under the weight, I'm sure. Elisabeth was not as penny pinching, so she made a stop at concession, and I was standing behind her looking for all the world like I would never buy candy to eat during a movie, when PLOP, the bag fell out from under my coat and landed on the floor two feet in front of the counter.  Although I tried to be quick as I stuffed it back under my jacket, I'm sure someone saw me.

1 comment:

  1. That is why the kids take their seats and THEN Daddy goes to get popcorn.

    ReplyDelete