our family

our family

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Not the baby anymore

Tonight after books instead of getting to watch 20 minutes of television with Gabe, Zach had to go straight to bed because he freaked out when I said Gabe could pick which veggietales they were going to watch until 7:30.  He promptly stood up, threw his pillow down, and had a fit. OK, off to bed, Mister.
Once there we had a bit of a discussion, and then I sank down on the bed next to him to snuggle for a minute. Sensing an opportunity, he began to tear up, lower lip quivering as he said,
"I feel like I am the worm, and you are the girl who doesn't like the worm but just likes the baby doll."
It was a brilliant tactical move on his part; I couldn't help myself.
"What?"
"I'm the worm. And you like the baby doll better than me. You like Rilla."
Enter wave after wave of reassurance.
But he wasn't ready to go to sleep yet so he threw this one at me:
"When you stand next to Rilla it's like you threw a spear into my gut."
Now, remember, this is because he was missing TWENTY MINUTES OF A TV SHOW HE DIDN"T WANT TO WATCH IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that each one of the kids had huge adjustments to make, he went from being the youngest to having a baby sister, and so on and so forth -- I just admire the genius of his timing.

1 comment: