our family

our family

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Donut Despair

This morning after church when I finally managed to get out the sanctuary door with the baby the first thing I saw was Zach, tears streaming down his cheeks while he nibbled on part of a doughnut. "What's wrong?" I asked, picturing some children's church craft gone wrong (which come to find out also happened). "The doughnuts are gone!!" he wailed. Some good samaritan must have given him a bite of theirs. After promising to stop for a doughnut on the way home from church, I took off to change the baby and Zach walked down the hall. Two minutes later he came out of a classroom armed with construction paper and a colored pencil; I could see a tally mark at the top of the paper.  When asked what he was doing, Zach told me in his slow, serious voice that he was going to find out who ate all the doughnuts. Sure enough, he was walking up to everyone in the foyer, pencil poised to add another tally mark: "Um, did you have a doughnut off of that table over there?"
I guess I should tell his first grade teacher that all those homework assignments involving tally marks really paid off. Personally, I learned today that my old argument about math not applying to real life just won't hold water anymore - especially where doughnuts are concerned.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. You should write this blog for Paretns mag or something. You are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete