our family

our family

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Satisfaction baked right in

Three out of four kids are in bed, the house is almost silent, and I am looking back over my day feeling the peace and contentment that a good day brings with it. John skipped the gym today so I could accompany Zach on his field trip, "Penguin Olympics," at White's Farm. The culmination of all things penguin, we spent two hours reviewing amazing facts and then stepping outside (waddling, actually, since we were acting like penguins) to hunt for krill (pasta) and toboggan headfirst down a very icy slope located at the edge of a very icy field.  Knowing Zach wanted me there was great, and he introduced me to every child in the class, and said I was the nicest mom he every had! (I refuse to think too deeply about that statement.)
Katy tried out for the school musical tonight; she's been practicing some singing and we've been anticipating the audition for some time.  Hoping the cast list will be posted tomorrow, she remains skeptical about her performance, but I was pleased when she said that if she doesn't get a part in the play she would like to look into helping with lighting or costumes or something else involved in the production end of things. Good girl!
Gabe finished his second book in Sparkies at AWANA tonight, and was so proud to receive the blue ribbon and new book. He is fantastic at memorizing; to my shame, I am not so fantastic at reminding him and helping him with his verses.  Both boys received "jewels" tonight and overall the air was fairly bubbling with well-deserved pride in their achievements on the way home from church.
Wednesday is also date day for John and I; since I work on Monday nights now we are not home any evening together except for Wednesday, but we do have church that night so until after 8 we are out anyhow.  Going out every week has been so nice - it is a splurge but we are choosing to look at it as more of an investment.
On the bus headed to the Penguin Olympics
Look at that smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment